[responsivevoice_button voice=”UK English Female” buttontext=”Listen to Post”]
The Western Sydney MRC is a community based non-profit organisation established to actively and directly relieve the situation of immigrants and refugees whose social condition renders them disadvantaged.
The Western Sydney MRC works with refugees and migrants, including second generations, where their social conditions render them disadvantaged, and to help them take part in their local community life. The WSMRC has a strong ethics base and is committed to working to ensure that capacity is built with individuals, families and communities.
The Western Sydney MRC is seeking volunteer tutors to help young people from refugee and migrant backgrounds with homework support to help them better engage in mainstream schooling. The program runs on Mondays from 3:30 to 5:30pm during school terms at the Western Sydney MRC office in Liverpool. Volunteer tutors may be required to work one-on-one or across a small group of students.
What we are looking for:
- Teaching/tutoring experience is preferred but not essential. Applicants with a knowledge of a range of subject areas and familiarity with the Australian school curriculum are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Applicants with ESL or TESOL training are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Applicants with the ability to be assertive, dynamic, flexile and creative in their teaching approach are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Arabic, Persian/Farsi, and Rohingya speakers are strongly encouraged to apply.
This role will report to the Youth Worker and work directly with Western Sydney MRC clients.
This role requires volunteers to commit two hours a week for a minimum of one school term.
All applications are to be addressed to the Volunteer Coordinator and emailed to email@example.com with the subject line Homework Support Program Volunteer or mailed to: PO Box 435, Liverpool, NSW 2170. Please provide a brief letter of application and at least one reference. Your letter of application should provide details of:
- Your reasons for applying;
- Your highest level of education;
- Your knowledge of subjects in the Australian school curriculum
- Your experience working with people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds;
- Your knowledge of a community language.
Successful applicants will be required to submit a clear NSW/Federal Police Check, a current Working with Children’s Check and meet all compliance requirements according to Western Sydney MRC policies as provided. All volunteers will be required to attend one training and induction session, held at the Western Sydney MRC on a regular basis, and undertake on-the-job training with their supervisor.
For further information and questions please contact Jennifer McLean, Volunteer Coordinator, on 02 8778 1218.
Please be aware that this is a voluntary role and as such, the volunteer is not an employee of the Western Sydney MRC. The Western Sydney MRC does not provide volunteers with:
- Monetary allowances or remuneration for volunteer role