The information we will cover here will include:
- What is the NDIS?
- How does the NDIS work?
- What support services will I get from the NDIS?
- Eligibility criteria
- What does a Plan look like?
- Preparing to apply for NDIS Support
The National Disability Insurance Scheme, also called the NDIS, provides people with a disability access to different support and care options.
The NDIS is able to provide support and services that are specific to your needs. It aims to assist you to achieve the goals you have set in different aspects of your / your family’s life.
The NDIS gives you control over which support providers you wish to use. You will have choice and flexibility over the disability support providers you access.
You can visit the NDIS website for more information at www.ndis.gov.au
Or you can contact the Western Sydney MRC for information and support accessing the NDIS.
The NDIS supports eligible people with a disability by giving them choice and control over support services they receive. This is done through development of a plan, that includes the type of services, activities and goals you wish to access and achieve.
Once approved, your first plan under the NDIS will be in place for 12 months and will provide you with funding to access the services you need.
The types of support that are available through the NDIS vary depending on needs and goals.
You can find more information on the types of support here.
You can access the NDIS if:
- You are under the age of 65;
- You live in Australia and are an Australian citizen or permanent resident;
- Your meet the disability requirements outlined by the NDIS.
For children, NDIS funding includes provision for early intervention supports which are designed to improve outcomes during critical development years.
If you are not eligible for the NDIS, you may be eligible for Information, Linkages and Capacity Building services.
You can contact us at the Western Sydney MRC and we can assist you with understanding NDIS eligibility criteria.
To find out what your NDIS plan may look like follow this link to an Easy Read Factsheet called National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) in NSW.
There are different organisations that can help you apply for NDIS support.
- NDIS support can be applied for yourself, through the NDIA or through a support agency, like the Western Sydney MRC.
- These organisations will help you understand what kind of support you are eligible for, how to access them and how to develop your plan in preparation for discussion with an NDIS representative.
- Contact us at the Western Sydney MRC if you would like to talk through the opportunities and options available for support under the NDIS.