The Western Sydney MRC works with refugees and migrants, including second generations, where their social conditions render them disadvantaged, and to help them take part in their local community life. The WSMRC has a strong ethics base and is committed to working to ensure that capacity is built with individuals, families and communities.
The Western Sydney MRC is seeking volunteers to prepare and deliver beginner and intermediate level English classes to people from refugee and migrant backgrounds. Classes currently run from 12pm to 2pm on Mondays at the Western Sydney MRC office in Liverpool, however Western Sydney MRC is hoping to open a second class at an alternative time to meet growing needs.
What we are looking for:
- Applicants with experience in Teaching English as a Second Language (TESOL).
- ESL or TESOL training is desirable but not necessary to apply.
- Applicants with the ability to be assertive, dynamic, flexile and creative in their teaching approach are highly desired.
- Arabic, Persian/Farsi, and Rohingya speakers are strongly encouraged to apply.
This role will report to the Community Development Officer and work directly with Western Sydney MRC clients.
This role requires volunteers to commit two hours a week for a minimum of six weeks.
All applications are to be addressed to the Volunteer Coordinator and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line Volunteer English Teacher or mailed to: PO Box 435, Liverpool, NSW 2170. Please provide a brief letter of application and at least one reference. Your letter of application should provide details of:
- Your reasons for applying;
- Your experience in Teaching English as a Second Language;
- Any ESL, TEFL or TESOL qualifications you may have;
- Your experience working with people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds;
- Your knowledge of a community language; and
- Your availability.
Successful applicants will be required to submit a clear NSW/Federal Police Check and meet all compliance requirements according to Western Sydney MRC policies as provided. All volunteers will be required to attend one training and induction session, held at the Western Sydney MRC on a regular basis, and undertake on-the-job training with their supervisor.
For further information and questions please contact Jennifer McLean, Volunteer Coordinator, on 02 8778 1218.
Please be aware that this is a voluntary role and as such, the volunteer is not an employee of the WSMRC. The Western Sydney MRC does not provide volunteers with:
- Monetary allowances or remuneration for volunteer role