Western Sydney MRC’s Volunteering opportunities
We are always looking out for enthusiastic individuals to volunteer at all stages.
Community Visitors Scheme (CVS)
The Community Visitors Scheme (CVS) is an initiative of the Australian Government and is funded nationally by the Department of Health and Ageing. The aim of this program is to enrich the quality of life of residents of Aged Care Homes (Nursing Homes or Aged Hostels) who have been identified as being lonely or socially isolated and might benefit from having a regular friendly visitor.
The volunteer program includes:
- A commitment to visiting a resident friend at least once a fortnight
- Visits should be spent doing something you both enjoy – you might want to read, listen to music, chat and reminisce, or watch a favourite TV program together
- The activities you undertake will depend on the health and interests of the resident
- Sharing your time and your interests with the resident will help them feel better about themselves and enjoy their life more
The Western Sydney MRC will provide you with support and training and reimbursement for out-of-pocket expenses.
If you can spare a couple of hours on a fortnightly basis, this can be a very rewarding experience and you will be making someone’s day a little brighter.
Other Volunteer Opportunities
There are a number of other ways you can help with volunteering:
- Helping at employability workshops
- Organising activities across any one of our youth, children or aged care programs
- Translation services
- Providing specialist skills and insight to help towards core running – e.g. HR, marketing, communications etc. – either on an ad hoc basis
- Mentoring refugees pre-, during and post-employment.
How to help us