Western Sydney MRC’s Volunteering opportunities
We are always looking out for enthusiastic individuals to volunteer at all stages.
Community Visitors Scheme (CVS)
The Community Visitors Scheme (CVS) is an initiative of the Australian Government and is funded nationally by the Department of Health and Ageing. The aim of this program is to enrich the quality of life of residents of Aged Care Homes (Nursing Homes or Aged Hostels) who have been identified as being lonely or socially isolated and might benefit from having a regular friendly visitor.
The volunteer program includes:
- A commitment to visiting a resident friend at least once a fortnight
- Visits should be spent doing something you both enjoy – you might want to read, listen to music, chat and reminisce, or watch a favourite TV program together
- The activities you undertake will depend on the health and interests of the resident
- Sharing your time and your interests with the resident will help them feel better about themselves and enjoy their life more
The Western Sydney MRC will provide you with support and training and reimbursement for out-of-pocket expenses.
If you can spare a couple of hours on a fortnightly basis, this can be a very rewarding experience and you will be making someone’s day a little brighter.
Current Volunteer Opportunities
- Translation services
- Homework support tutors for our weekly Homework Support program for newly arrived, refugee high school students with knowledge in Legal Studies; Maths; Business; Science; History; Economic; Geography; PDHPE; English; IT/Computing
All other volunteer opportunities are on-hold until 2018
How to help us