Our Multicultural playgroups are one of the programs underpinned by our Community Connect Projects
The Western Sydney MRC has been running the Multicultural Playgroups on a weekly basis for the past 15 years.
The Multicultural Playgroups support migrant and refugee families with children aged 0-5 years.
In 2017 we have organised 3 main stream playgroups
The playgroup specifically accommodates parents who are socially, culturally and linguistically isolated and focuses on building a strong relationship between the child and parent. The grass roots level support offered by the Cultural Connect Project aims to increase the engagement of vulnerable families into a coordinated service network, transition families through a playgroup continuum, ensure early intervention by specialist services where developmental concerns have been identified and support improved parenting practices through culturally competent practice and service provision.
The Multicultural Playgroups support
- Migrant and refugee families with children aged 0-5 years of age
- Families from small emerging communities
- Fathers, grandfathers and extended family members
At the Multicultural Playgroups you can
- Speak your own language and practice learning English
- Develop new friendships
- Enjoy an environment that reflects your own culture
- Obtain support from the Coordinator on early childhood issues, advice and referral to other services
- Participate in information sessions and discussions with regard to early childhood topics and settlement issues
At the Multicultural Playgroups your children can
- Learn through play
- Mix with other children
- Maintain their home language.
The grassroots level support offered aims to increase the engagement of vulnerable families into a coordinated service network, transition families through a playgroup continuum, ensure early intervention by specialist services where developmental concerns have been identified and support improved parenting practice.
Funded by Liverpool City Council, Fairfield City Council, Mission Australian, Liverpool Public School and SSI