The Western Sydney MRC is a community based non-profit organisation established to actively and directly relieve the situation of immigrants and refugees whose social condition renders them disadvantaged.
The Western Sydney MRC works with refugees and migrants, including second generations, where their social conditions render them disadvantaged, and to help them take part in their local community life. The Western Sydney MRC has a strong ethics base and is committed to working to ensure that capacity is built with individuals, families and communities.
The Western Sydney MRC is seeking volunteers to assist in the delivery of the ‘Way to Go’ Employment Workshop, which runs from 12:30 to 2:30pm on Fridays at the Western Sydney MRC office in Liverpool, and provides one-on-one support to newly arrived migrants and refugees seeking to gain employment in Australia. This may include:
- Assisting clients in preparing resumes and identifying professional development opportunities;
- Assisting clients in searching for and applying for jobs;
- Assisting clients in interview preparation and debriefing; and
- Translating and interpreting documents and other materials, where necessary.
Successful applicants will meet the following essential criteria:
- A strong command of English language.
- Experience using computer programs, such as Microsoft Word, in addition to a familiarity with job searching websites, such as seek.com.au .
- Experience working with people form culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) backgrounds.
Applicants with experience in the professional sector are strongly encouraged to apply. Knowledge of a community language, such as Arabic, is desirable but not necessary to apply.
This role will report to the Employment Project Officer and work directly with Western Sydney MRC clients.
This role requires volunteers to commit two hours a week for a minimum of six weeks.
All applications are to be addressed to the Volunteer Coordinator and emailed to email@example.com with the subject line Employment Workshop Volunteer or mailed to: PO Box 435, Liverpool, NSW 2170. Please provide a brief letter of application and at least one reference. Your letter of application should provide details of:
- Your reasons for applying;
- Your professional experience in Australia;
- How you meet the essential criteria; and
- Your knowledge of a community language.
Successful applicants will be required to submit a clear NSW/Federal Police Check and meet all compliance requirements according to Western Sydney MRC policies as provided. All volunteers will be required to attend one training and induction session, held at the Western Sydney MRC on a regular basis, and undertake on-the-job training with their supervisor.
For further information and questions please contact Jennifer McLean, Volunteer Coordinator, on 02 8778 1218.
Please be aware that this is a voluntary role and as such, the volunteer is not an employee of the Western Sydney MRC .The Western Sydney MRC does not provide volunteers with:
- Monetary allowances or remuneration for volunteer role