The Western Sydney MRC is a community based non-profit organisation established to actively and directly relieve the situation of immigrants and refugees whose social condition renders them disadvantaged.
The Western Sydney MRC works with refugees and migrants, including second generations, where their social conditions render them disadvantaged, and to help them take part in their local community life. The Western Sydney MRC has a strong ethics base and is committed to working to ensure that capacity is built with individuals, families and communities.
The Western Sydney MRC is looking for bilingual volunteers to assist in the delivery of our casework program on a Wednesday afternoon. This role will involve supporting an experienced caseworker on the ‘Drop-in’ service, and may include:
- Assisting clients to understand important letters and documents;
- Assisting clients to make telephone calls; and
- Assisting clients to apply for travel concessions and Opal Cards.
Successful candidates will meet the following essential criteria:
- Be confident in speaking, reading and writing in Arabic and English;
- Be completing, or have completed, a Certificate III in Community Services (or equivalent), a Bachelor of Social Work, or have relevant casework experience; and
- Be experienced in working with people from Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Backgrounds.
This role will report to a Settlement Support Program Caseworker and work directly with Western Sydney MRC clients.
This role requires volunteers to commit 3.5 hours weekly, from 12:30-4pm on Wednesdays, for a minimum of three months. The role will commence on Wednesday, 13th June 2018.
All applications are to be addressed to the Volunteer Coordinator and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line Casework Support Volunteer or mailed to: PO Box 435, Liverpool, NSW 2170. Please provide a brief letter of application and at least one reference. Your letter of application should provide details of:
- Your reasons for applying; and
- Your experience working with people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; and
- Your availability.
Successful applicants will be required to submit a clear NSW/Federal Police Check and meet all compliance requirements according to Western Sydney MRC policies as provided. All volunteers will be required to attend one training and induction session, held at the Western Sydney MRC on a regular basis, and undertake on-the-job training with their supervisor.
For further information and questions please contact Jennifer McLean, Volunteer Coordinator, on 02 8778 1218.
Please be aware that this is a voluntary role and as such, the volunteer is not an employee of the Western Sydney MRC. The Western Sydney MRC does not provide volunteers with:
- Monetary allowances or remuneration for volunteer role